Subject: Re: get/set serial port
To: None <wjhud@jps.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/29/2000 00:59:46
Bill Hudspeth <wjhud@jps.net> writes:
> > What you can do, just to verify that there is no problem, is do a
> > "dmesg | egrep ^com" to verify that the serial port is in fact
> > configured properly.
>
> 'dmesg' provided reasonable looking value for com0 and com1. Where are
> these values stored

in the kernel.

> and what programs read the values?

None read the values. (Well, you could in theory build something to
grovel kmem and play with them, but nothing you have with the system
does so or needs to, so for your purposes "nothing in userland touches
the values".)

You just use the port device associated with the serial port in
question, /dev/whatever.

Nothing in userland needs to fiddle with the kernel configuration.

Can you describe specifically what is going wrong for you?

> Where is the information I need for PPP?

"man pppd"

Basically, though, you just tell the pppd (in your .ppprc or whatever)
what port to open at what speed, and it takes it all from there.

> Then, where is the information about the abstract kernel customization?

I'd avoid learning about that for now. It will only confuse you and
won't help you get what you're doing working.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com