Subject: Re: vmware and -current (i386)
To: None <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/28/2000 08:08:24
> > I've once ported some old version of the kernel driver for FreeBSD into
> > NetBSD, but NetBSD apparently supports only a few part of VM86 emulation,
> > and I am stuck there since I doesn't know i386 at all.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "part of VM86 emulation". It's true that
> we do not emulate the linux vm86 system call (although we probably could
> without too much trouble), but you don't need it for vmware support.

I must admit I don't know VM86 nor x86 cpu at all.

> I've started to look into this, and I think the kernel module could
> be ported without too much trouble. Only a new vm page allocation
> calls are different, but that isn't hard to fix.

True.  Porting vmware kernel module itself wasn't too hard.

> What exactly do you think is missing?

It seems that I've accidentaly lost the working directory, so that I
cannot find the details now.  From my memory, ported vmware module paniced
by page fault.  It looks our VM86 emulation doesn't care about VM in
kernel mode, which is required by vmware.  Also I felt it is too simple
compared with FreeBSD code.

Regards,

Atsushi Onoe