Subject: Re: AGP
To: Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/24/2000 20:55:33
(Started on port-i386, this perhaps better belongs on tech-x11---though,
as far as I know, XFree86's official release for NetBSD only supports the
i386.)

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> how is the migration from 3.3.6 to 4.0? Are there many changes to the

Easy, for the most part.  There are some hiccups relating to stuff that we
currently have in packages, yet which XFree86 4.0 includes as part of the
X server.  Also, I used the new ``-config'' option to the X server, to
build a config file in the new format.  It missed a few points that were
easy to fill in (monitor frequencies, wsmouse support, and something
else.)  What I did was deinstall all of my NetBSD packages, move the old
X11R6 directory to /usr/X11R6-3.3.6, and then installed XFree86 4.0.

(I deinstalled the packages because a lot of packages unfortunately need
their binaries in the /usr/X11R6 directory tree.  Since I _renamed_ the
old directory, any packaged stuff in the old directories would get
``lost''.)

If you are comfortable with the notion of manually editing your 3.3.6
XFree86 config file, you probably won't bat an eye at the complexity of
swapping in X 4.0.

> configuration? ie will I have a lot of work converting my xdm and other
> configuration files? I'll take another look at the features of v4.0.

I have no idea about xdm.  I never use it.  (I login with a text console
and use ``startx'' to start an X session.)

For the use I make of it, there isn't a whole lot of use to running the
4.x server, yet.  But it works well enough.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu