Subject: Re: Intall packages
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Bill Hudspeth <wjhud@jps.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/24/2000 06:13:55
Hi Manuel, thank you faor answering back.

I don't know if my CD has the layout expected by the package system.
Nevertheless, I am confused because pkg_add cannot find:
 "package_file.tgz"  or
 "kde-1.1.2.tgz"

The CD-ROM is arranged so that the real packages are located in:

/packages/1.4/i386/all

and then there is a directory for /pkgtools that has empty files
(same as /all) and a TRANS.TBL file with batch-like commands for
installing the entire pkgtools system.

The same is true for /kde.  All real file are in /all and the
TRANS.TBL is in /kde.

I find all of this quite opaque. Is it possible that I should be using
an "install" command rather than "pkg_add"?

Lost as usual,

Bill