Subject: Re: wheelmouse driver, passing boot args via reboot...
To: None <rh@vip.at>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/23/2000 22:20:31
   Grey Wolf wrote:

   > Firstly, I remember there being a driver for the wheelmice which would
   > actually enable one to use the wheel on the mouse.  It'd be nice to be
   > able to do that.  Can anyone throw me a (bone *)?

     I use a PS/2 wheel mouse under X using wsmouse on pmsi.  For anything
   useful to happen you need to map the wheel to "buttons" 4 and 5.  Here
   is the relevant part from my XF86Config:

   Section "InputDevice"

   # Identifier and driver

       Identifier  "Mouse1"
       Driver      "mouse"
       Option "Protocol"    "wsmouse"
       Option "Device"      "/dev/wsmouse0"
       Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

     This is from XFree86-4.0.1, but 3.3.x settings are the same.

     For applications to do something useful, you also need to set
   appropriate application defaults.  You might want to take a look at

   http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

     for some nice examples.

     Cheers
	 ,
      Rene

I do the above, also...  except that I use the wsmux pseudo driver.  Use
/dev/wsmouse instead of /dev/wsmouse0.

Minor issue with doing that, however...  If you are multiplexing a two
button only mouse, say the "eraser" and it associated two buttons on a
Toshiba Portage, and a mouse with more then two buttons, say a Logitech
USB mouse with three buttons and the roller, there will likely be an
unwanted interaction between 'ZAxisMapping 4 5' and 'Emulate3Buttons'.  In
particular, what I found was that buttons 4 and 5 would be lost if
Emulate3Buttons was on.  This will, of course, give the impression that
things are not working.

[I suspect that the same thing will happen even if you only had one mouse,
but left Emulate3Buttons on by mistake]

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]