Subject: Re: vmware and -current (i386)
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@nominum.com>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/18/2000 11:07:53
}> I boot NetBSD and live in it; from time to time I might want to
}> do something in Windows NT.   So, to me it makes sense to run vmware
}> on NetBSD.

This is what I want to do too.

}I agree.   However, sometimes you have to do what's possible, rather
}than what you'd like.   AFAIK the FreeBSD and Linux support is
}proprietary, so you can't just port it.   If one could, I would love
}to, because I much prerfer to boot NetBSD.   So if it's more important
}to you that NetBSD be in control, you're pretty much stuck.   If you
}can live with NT on top, with an X server to make it look like it's
}not, then this is a solution that can work for you right now,
}aesthetically displeasing though it may be.

From the FreeBSD description:
---
We all are thankful to Vladimir N. Silyaev for porting vmmon/vmnet
modules to FreeBSD.  Have a look at his page for the latest
information:

        http://www.mindspring.com/~vsilyaev/vmware/
---
On that page:
Copyright issue

        Unclear. My own code has a BSD-style copyright license,
        but in order to write it, I used VMware-copyrighted sources.
        In any case, I'm distributing only my own patch set, and all
        modified files retain the original copyright information.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu