Subject: Re: SCSI BUS on the fritz
To: Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/17/2000 19:25:50
On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 03:59:56PM -0400, Todd Gruhn wrote:
> 4d ago, I bought a refurbed (probably not the smartest thing to
> do) 2GB CFP2107E drive. I finally got it connected today --
> I was told it is a "SUN DRIVE", it has no termination. So I made
> it SCSI id=0 and made the CD SCSI id=1 and terminated, and put
> the CD on the terminal connector on the SCSI cable. Gues what,

Wait, let me see if I read this correctly. You have

SCSI card (terminated) --- HD id=0 --- CD id=1 --- terminator

Did I get that right?

> I got the message again: AHA(0:0:0) timed out. Whats going on
> here! Can the SCSI adapter wear out!? Any ideas?

Are you sure you have termination power on the bus? Some
drives supply it, some don't. If you had a drive that did
supply it and you replaced it with a drive that didn't
supply termination power then you will have problems.

Your cables are fine? Just last week I couldn't get a box
running with a SCSI card, turns out I had a crimp in my
cable. *sigh*
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal                  http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/
XCOMM