Subject: Re: Can't get X running.
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/16/2000 21:05:43
On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 09:50:23PM -0400, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> Kevin P. Neal writes:
> >
> > Using the XF86_Mono, XF86_VGA16, and XF86_SVGA servers I run as root
> > from the command line:
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/X -verbose 2>&1
> >
> > I get this error:
> > (--) checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/mem and /dev/xf86
> >         (No such file or directory)
> >         linear framebuffer access unavailable
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap /dev/vga (Invalid argument)
>
> Do you have 'options INSECURE' in your kernel config?  Or have you
> loaded the aperture (pkgsrc/sysutils/aperture) driver?
> (options INSECURE is the default in i386/conf/GENERIC)

Um, well, "I do now." Thanks. That error message could use
some improvement.

I've got X running now. Has anybody tried running multiple X
servers recently? I had at one point three servers running
in different resolutions and depths. It seemed OK, but when
I tried to do this from xdm, and I rebooted, it all got hosed up.

I had to power down my box to get the display reset to something
my monitor could deal with. Err, or something my KVM switch could
deal with. Err, or something.

BTW, is startx supposed to work fine with started from a virtual
terminal (wscons)? My keyboard ended up spitting out extra
characters repeatedly, just like when xdm has X running on
a vt that getty is running on.

"You know, I think I can hear the machine screaming from here...  \
'help me! hellpp meeee!'"  - Heather Flanagan, 14:52:23 Wed Jun 10 1998