Subject: Laptop/notebook recommendations?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/16/2000 09:39:45
Until now, I've been _very_ happy with NetBSD on Sony Vaios (pcg-2xx,3xx).

This past week, Fry's got in the latest models and no longer sell
those verions.  All the current models have Yamaha ymf-744b audio
chips (so no sound), and also have newer steppings of the NeoMagic
chipsets which XFree86 3.x doesnt seem to support.

(I did try XFree 4.1, on FreeBSD; it recognised the chip, and claims
to support it as the older verison, but the serve coredumped).

So -- anyone got recommendations for alternatives? Fry's has one
recent (600 MHz P-III) Compaq model with a 14-inch display, one
pc-card slot, ATI Rage graphics, and ess (?) audio.  Can anyone report
positive experiences good experiences with these?

Jason, perhaps?