Subject: Re: Cyrix panics
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/15/2000 11:59:55
On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 11:38:16PM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> To everyone who has been seeing panics in pmap, with Cyrix CPUs,  after
> the page zero code was added:
>
> Could you a) try the following patch (it simply disables page zeroing for
> all 6x86 CPUs; it's crude but it should work), and b) could you tell
> me on which processor type you were seeing it?

I was away until yesterday.. Don't know if this counts as proof or anything,
but with your patch, an ailing cyrix has been:

up    15:55,     0 users,  load 0.07, 0.08, 0.08

That includes one night => I presume it was idle enough for the change to
matter and your fix to kick in.

cpu0: family 6 model 0 step 0
cpu0: Cyrix 6x86MX (686-class)

I'll try to set up another one to improve the statistics a bit..

Thanks,

Patrick