Subject: Re: ne1, ne2, wss0 -- irq conflict help
To: Bill Warrick (Earthlink) <bwarrick2@earthlink.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/2000 15:53:13
On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 11:03:58PM -0500, Bill Warrick (Earthlink) wrote:
> I have a compaq deskpro xe 466.  Have installed 1.4.2 with floppies and
>
> 1.) I have a ne1 and an ne2 but only one nic card installed! The dmesg.boot
> has both listed with the same
> mac address. The ne2 is at isapnp0.
> 2.) The ne1 and wss both have irq 10

I recently saw this on a machine I was setting up for someone - with ep.
The device is getting matched on both ISA and ISAPNP - but probably both
end up being 'broken' because one's detected incorrectly, then the second
one conflicts.

> I get ''ne1: device time out" when I try to ping out to my network.

That's consistent.

> ne1 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f irq 10
> ne1: NE2000 (RTL8019) Ethernet
> ne1: 10base2, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, auto, default auto
> ne1: Ethernet address 00:e0:29:79:4a:7b
> ne2 at isapnp0 port 0x200/32 irq 3
> ne2: NE2000 (RTL8019) Ethernet
> ne2: 10base2, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, auto, default auto
> ne2: Ethernet address 00:e0:29:79:4a:7b

Now, in my config, I did actually have two physical cards at first, but
I still had this problem after removing one.

I used the configure disk for the card to disable PnP, and use
9/280 for the card, and then it was fine.

Enabling PnP and making sure the card doesn't have that IO 300
in the prom should work too - but in my case I'm going to be installing
multiple cards and I want them hardwired down.

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me