Subject: Re: Australian Timezone Correction - NetBSD-1.4.2
To: Jenkins, Graham K [IBM GSA] <Graham.K.Jenkins@team.telstra.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/11/2000 12:01:39
    Date:        Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:50:21 +1000
    From:        "Jenkins, Graham K [IBM GSA]" <Graham.K.Jenkins@team.telstra.com>

  | 	I actually tried: 'zic -d /tmp -y : australasia' before I sent my
  | original email.

You don't want to do that, that will generate incorrect timezone files
for South Aus for 1990-1994 (incl).
	-y 'sh yearistype.sh'
The way the mkefile does it (or make an executable yearistype (indentical
to yearistype.sh) and use "-y ./yearistype").

All this will become moot anyway as soon as tzcode2000f/tzdata2000f are
imported into NetBSD (or you just fetch and use those) - yearistype is
no longer needed for anything in that data set.

But to comment on the comment that "ordinary mortals" (those who don't
build snapshots) don't (or perhaps even shouldn't) be running zic in
the first place.   That's nonsense - if that were true then zic wouldn't
need to exist in the first place, the rules could just be compiled into
libc (the way they used to be in the old days).  Snapshot builders can
produce a new libc as easily as anything else (well, almost...)  The whole
point of the external timezone database is to allow users to update their
timezone data when the rules change.

kre