Subject: Re: Corel Linux Office 2000 under NetBSD i386 using /opt/corel
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/09/2000 14:03:57
I do not have any suggestions on how to work, But I did talk to a Corel
Rep at a Linux Canada and was absolutly not impressed with how they made
a linux version of Office. Looked very ugly, messy and absutly *windows*
feeling. Perhaps thats why they have thier own Linux flavour, so they can
pre-install thier mess.

Good luck,
I would think the Linux users would have also compained about this kind
of thing.

Ben Bogart

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Alicia da Conceicao wrote:

> Having bought and used Corel Linux WordPerfect 8 reliably on my NetBSD
> ix86 laptop for nearly two years, I was happy when Corel released their
> Corel Linux Office 2000 suite, and bought the deluxe version.
>
> Unfortunately, it has been a nightmare.  :-(  Corel WordPerfect 8,
> worked great under NetBSD Linux emulation, and installed nicely into the
> /opt/wordperfect directory.  However, Corel Office 2000 installer does not
> seem to work under NetBSD, nor does did work under SuSE Linux.  Instead I
> ran the install scripts at ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/CorelLinux/installscripts/
> on a SuSE Linux machine, and discovered to my horror that it installed files
> in /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/X11R6/bin, /etc, ...  This is unacceptable, since
> wipe out everything except /home, /opt, & /etc everytime I upgrade the OS.
> (I don't even use /usr/local or /usr/X11R6, which I symlink to /opt/local
> & /opt/X11R6 respectively.)  I do not want to reinstall Corel Office 2000
> everytime I upgrade the OS, or have Linux files mixed into my /usr
> directories!  In addition the Corel Office 2000 files are in rpm format on
> the CD, but they have been built with a non-relocateable rpm install prefix!
>
> Using the rpm2cpio program to convert the rpms into cpio files, manually
> installing them into /opt/corel, and modifying a number of config files, I
> have had limit success getting it to work under a SuSE linux machine.
> (QuattroPro works, but WordPerfect doesn't, presentations mostly works
> except for the toolbar, etc.)  Of course everything does run under SuSE
> linux when the files are installed into their default directories /usr/bin,
> /usr/lib, ...  But I cannot get Corel Linux Office 2000 to work properly
> under /opt/corel, even on a SuSE linux machine.
>
> In addition, I also discovered that unlike the previous Corel Linux
> WordPerfect 8, which is a native Linux binary, compiled with the Motif GUI,
> Corel Linux Office 2000 actually uses horrible Win32 binaries, which it
> runs using WinE (Windows Emulation).  Unfortunately, I have not be able
> to get the Linux WinE to run under NetBSD, nor have I been able to get
> Corel Linux Office 2000 to run under my native NetBSD ix86 WinE.
>
> Has anybody else been able to run Corel Linux Office 2000 under NetBSD
> ix86?  Does anyone have any advice on what I can do it get it to work
> on NetBSD, with all of the files installed under /opt/corel?  As one who
> believes in supporting commercial Unix software, I am very, very
> disappointed Corel Linux Office 2000, and fear that I will have to
> continue using my tryed & true Corel Linux WordPerfect 8 on my NetBSD
> ix86 laptop.
>
> Thank you in advance.  Sincerely, Alicia.

B. Bogart
Convergent Media Designer
Through scientific absolution we move further and further away from ourselves.