Subject: Re: SOUND BLASTER INTERRUPT CONFIGURATION
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/08/2000 15:29:08
On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 11:20:52AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	I've tried two different cards with this machine.  One is a modern
> Creative Labs Sound blaster with pnp support.  NetBSD 1.2g has isapnp
> support in it and this card probes with isapnp settings, which look

That part sounds good...

> reasonable.  the behavior of the driver is as if interrupts are merely
> disabled.  No stray interrupts get generated and the  processes writing to
> the audio device get stuck in "aud wr".

Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of that - I've never had it happen to me.

> 	The second card is not a pnp capable device and probes with the message
> that the card is configured for an invalid interrupt.  If I use a hard

Could you copy the message here? And tell us what the card is configured
for and what's in the kernel config?

> coded interrupt in the configuration file, it probes like the pnp capable
> card, and behaves the same way.  That is, interrupts never get generated.

Sounds like an IRQ conflict or something. You're sure no other devices
are on the same address or IRQ?

> 	I don't know why versions of NetBSD later than 1.3 seem to hang this
> machine.  They seem to hang the isa bus in some way.

In what way does it 'hang' ? At boot, or sometime after? If it's at boot
time, what's the last message you get, if later, what are the symptoms
of the hang, and have you tried using DDB?

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive