Subject: Re: SOUND BLASTER INTERRUPT CONFIGURATION
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/08/2000 12:33:37
On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 11:42:13AM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 07:40:13AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> > 	Hello Folks.  I'm trying to get an old sound blaster 16 working on my NetBSD
> > I386 box.  My problem is that I can't get the driver to program the card to
> > use the correct interrupt.  The card appears to have software programmable
>
> The driver doesn't know how to do that. Documentation isn't reliably available
> for those types of functions, and while there are lots of SB compatible cards,
> each one might do that setup function differently.

*sigh*

>  > interrupt channels, but the sb driver appears not to know how to set them.
>
> Use the setup disk that comes with the card (or downloadble from Creative, I
> guess) to set the card up.

There isn't a good way of reverse-engineering setup disks, is there?

> If you had something newer than 1.2G, I'd say prefferably pick PnP.
> I don't remember ever seeing a jumperless SB that didn't support PnP mode.

Jumperless SB or jumperless sb-compatible?

I have an Aztech Labs SB clone card. It has a couple of jumpers (220/240,
"software config"/"eeprom config"). By and large it doesn't have jumpers for
it's settings, and it isn't PnP.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal:  Senior, CSC, NCSU    http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/
XCOMM