Subject: Anyone know if NetBSD can key a radio transmitter
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, port-alpha@netbsd.org, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/04/2000 16:24:04
OK, off-the-wall question for the gurus aboard......

As a hobby, I run a fairly interesting Ham Radio station.  It is mostly
antique radiotelegraphy stuff from the Korean war and earlier.

I can use a simple dos ditty I put together to both play text as
sounded morse code via the PC motherboard speaker, and/or key a
serial port to toggle relays to send morse code out the radios.

I was thinking there has gotta be a way to do this in Unix on
a multi-tasking system as opposed to the old dos toy.  It would
be much more fun to do this on say a *BSD box where I might take
one terminal or window and run the sending keyboard, one terminal
or window and run the logging information, and another to control
the station, etc.

I would need to get access to ports that are not directly used
by the system, so that timing would not be an issue.

I had thought some of the Linuxers might do something like this,
but a BSD would feel nicer, at home.....(:+}}...  It might be a
fun way to put the BSD to work at something other than the usual
networking/desktop sort of thing.

Anyone got any pointers to how this might be done, or any url's
thereto?

Thanks

Bob