Subject: Re: how to spin down a harddisk?
To: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/02/2000 05:31:54
On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Atsushi Onoe wrote:
> Though I'm not sure what's wrong, I had same experience and now I use
> setstandby instead of setidle, which almost works fine for me.

Doesn't help much.
The only thing that really helped was the 'kill a bunch of daemons'
approach.

Given that on my tecra 8100 apmd doesn't execute /etc/apm/{line,battery}
once when it goes online/to battery but whenever the battery's fill state
changes (i.e. every few seconds)[*], killing apm is the best thing.

[*] For a description of this see apm.4, description of the
APM_POWER_PRINT option (which my kernel does NOT have on - apmd still runs
the scripts, though, and accesses the disk that way, spinning it up
again).

Seems kinda wrong...

 - Hubert

--
NetBSD - because Unix isn't just #include <linux.h>, i386, ILP32, ELF, ...!