Subject: Re: Off Topic part2: Printer Recommendations required
To: Ernst J. du Toit <et1@attglobal.net>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/01/2000 09:00:36
On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 09:17:50PM +0200, Ernst J. du Toit wrote:
> Anyway, I'm looking for an color inkjet printer that is NetBSD/i386 friendly,
> I've read about some parallel port funnies with some printers so I'm trying to
> avoid them to start with. I'm looking at a printer with USB in addition to
> parallel - the box here still predates USB, but an upgrade is looming.
>
> The catch is the only printers really supported (with consumables) in this
> neck of the woods are Epson and HP.

I bought a HP DeskJet 970 Cxi for printing digital camera pictures.  The 970
has a parallel port and USB (which I'm using).  It is supported by
Ghostscript, except for the PhotoREt mode which gives the best print quality.
I have one windoze machine, so I do most printing on windoze (via network
and Samba).

The print quality is good, but if you look very closely, you can still see
some dithering in light color tones.  I have a sample page printed with
Canon BJV-8200Photo here and it looks better than the output from my HP,
but before making the final judgement, I'd like to print the same image
with both printers (and some Epson) to see by myself.

I have had this HP for about 9 months now and it has been working well.
Once it was unused for two months or so and I was sure that the ink
cartridges had dried up or something, but no - even the first page printed
looked just as good as always.

  -jm