Subject: Re: Can't set or change passwords
To: Bill Hudspeth <wjhud@jps.net>
From: Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC <lavalamp@stargate.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/2000 02:42:56
First, make backup copies of /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd

Then, from a root shell:

# vipw

issue a ":wq!" command and see if it generates any error messages

-Brian

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Bill Hudspeth wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:30:11 -0700
> From: Bill Hudspeth <wjhud@jps.net>
> To: port-i386@netbsd.org
> Subject: Can't set or change passwords
>
> I know I've done something wrong because:
>
> 1.) Any time I try to set a password, I get a "password file is busy"
>     message.
>
> 2.) During boot, a message appears, saying:
>    "root: password file  may be incorrect -- /etc/ptmp exists"
>
> How can I restore a usable password file - obviously this error
> is not acceptable. Help!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Brian A. Seklecki                       Stargate Industries, LLC
Network Operations Center               http://www.stargate.net/
The Crane Building, Suite 300           (412) 316-STAR x7719 - voice
40 24th St.                             (412) 316-7899       - fax
Pittsburgh, PA  15222                   BSeklecki@Stargate.Net