Subject: Re: ATI XPERT 2000 & XFree86
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/27/2000 21:33:57
On 27 Jul 2000 14:35:00 -0500, Jukka Marin wrote:

>> Matrox can probably send you a utility which will re-flash the BIOS
>> and fix your G200.
>
>What's the story about the G200's - mine died, too, but I got a new one
>(the dead one was less than 12 months old).  Some kind of a manufacturing
>problem or just bad quality?

Ahhh! Thor was correct! My G200 had simply lost it's marbles. I
just performed the 'recover' operation (recover.zip that I found
at the Matrox tech support site) and my G2000 is back working!
Now I have a spare 32MB ATI card that 'snows' when anything moves...
I'll contact the XFree86 folks and see if they have a solution yet
(or even know about the problem).

Thanks Much!

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/utils/biosutil/recover.zip
http://www.matrox.com/mga/drivers/files/notes/recover.txt

------------------------
Matrox Recover Utility          MATROX GRAPHICS INC.
22.12.1999

Contents
========

Instructions to create a recovery boot diskette for Matrox G-series graphic
cards.

Usage of the recovery boot diskette

Creating a recovery boot diskette
===================================

1. Copy recover.exe to a new directory e.g. c:\pfad
2. Extract the file by double-clicking the recover.exe file

                Recover.exe contains:
                - RECOVER.IMG
                - RUNME.BAT
                - RAW.EXE

3. Go to MS-DOS prompt
4. Insert a diskette into the floppy drive
5. Execute RUNME.BAT e.g. C:\PFAD\RUNME (Enter)
6. Please follow the instructions given

Usage of the recovery boot diskette

1. Insert the recovery boot diskette into the floppy drive A.
2. Boot the computer
3. During the complete recovery process DO NOT shut down your computer
   although there is NO display on your monitor.
4. The computer will reboot automatically after which the monitor display should
   function again.