Subject: Re: i386 xterm key bindings
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: None <>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/25/2000 13:14:09
What about mapping some other keys?  On some terminal emulators I use,
I've got certain non alpha-numeric keys mapped to send special ASCII
Control Codes.

I have a pico/bash keymap on my machine at work that has the following
setup:

Key: "Home Key"
Use: "Move to beginning of line"
Ctrl: "^A"
Dec: "1"
Hex: "0x01"
Oct: "\001"

Key: "End Key"
Use: "Move to end of line"
Ctrl: "^E"
Dec: "5"
Hex: "0x05"
Oct: "\005"

Key: "Home Key"
Use: "Move to beginning of line"
Ctrl: "^A"
Dec: "1"
Hex: "0x01"
Oct: "\001"

Key: "Page Up"
Use: "Scroll One Page Up"
Ctrl: "^Y"
Dec: "25"
Hex: "0x19"
Oct: "\031"

[page down as well]

I have quiet a few others as well.  The point is that these key binding
are extremely convenient when it comes to navigation.  Those 6 keys are
there on a US 101 keyboard, but are un-unutilized by most applications by
default.  And then there is the issue of the unused 12? keys on the right
side of a Sun keyboard.

Is there anyway to map these keys in an Xterm to send the above mentioned
ASCII codes?

-Brian