Subject: Re: need good video card for XFree86
To: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/2000 19:19:47
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Scott Presnell wrote:
> > Wait a minute.. I've been using XFree86 3.3.x with the code that nvidia
> > made available quite some time ago, compiled into a GLX extension module,
>
> I've also been using the GLX extension module for Xfree86 3.3.6 with a TNT
> card.  There are occasionally problems with the GLX code, but basically it
> works.

If you've ever used the XFree86 4.0 drivers from nVidia with a TNT2,
you'll notice a HUGE performance difference. It's not even close; the GLX
module for XFree86 3.3.6 (from Utah-GLX) is a joke. nVidia won't release
enough specs on the card to make usable drivers, that's why the Linux
drivers are binary-only.

Jared