Subject: Telnet can't!
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Morten Liebach <morten@hotpost.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/21/2000 01:15:38
Hi all.

I have just done my first NetBSD ftp-install (1.4.2), and it went great.

But I can't use telnet!

This is fatal, since my ISP, stofanet.dk, requires me to telnet to a
log-on server to get on-line (no, I can't use ssh :-().

What happens is; I `telnet 192.168.30.2 259', and nothing happens.
This is the command that works from Linux, OpenBSD and Win98, so I feel
it should in NetBSD too (a slight assumption, but according to the
manpage it _is_ the right thing, the IP and port is right). :-)
I then tried putting 192.168.30.2 in /etc/hosts, but still no joy.

If I log on from Linux and reboot to NetBSD there's no problems, and I
can ftp-install packages etc., so it seems the network setup is OK.

The only thing I can think of now is that telnet might not use
/etc/hosts (that it has something to do with DNS)?
If that is so, how can that behavior be changed?

Thanks for your time!

Regards
		Morten

--