Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2000 12:50:25
On 19.07.00, 12:36:02, John Hawkinson wrote:
> | > I think for 1.5 we should leave cbb/pnpbios/pcibios disabled in
> | > the default kernels, but also provide a "laptop" set of install
> | > and generic kernels with those options enabled.
> |
> | I have found that the PnP-BIOS is utterly broken in some laptop BIOSs
> | (namely the "SystemSoft MobilePRO" BIOS), and causes the computer to
> | reset immediately after the kernel has found a pnpbios.
> | I have seen this on several different models, all with the "MobilePRO"
> | BIOS.
> |
> | So I don't think this should be enabled by default.
>
> Please submit open PR ("send-pr").
>
> Including the output of the kernel messages to the serial console
> for a kernel built with PNPBIOSVERBOSE and PNPBIOSDEBUG would be
> quite helpful, if you can manage it.
>
> If not, please boot the kernel debugger and set a breakpoint
> in the pnpbios code and keep continuing-through it until you
> determine the device which fails. If you need more fine-grained
> instructions on how to do this, please say-so.

I would have sent a PR, but unfortunately (well, rather fortunately
for me) I do not have access to those offending notebooks any longer,
but instead got one with a Phoenix BIOS, which seems to work fine.

I know someone who has a MobilePRO BIOS notebook, but I cannot say
when I will be able to lay hands on his machine again, let alone do
some debugging with the NetBSD kernel.

Sorry for that, I'd liked to have helped.

--
Bernd Sieker