Subject: boot-big.fs broken for 1.5?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/19/2000 19:17:39
  I've been trying to burn a bootable 1.5_ALPHA CD, so far without much
success.  First, mkhybrid complains that the file size (1953792 bytes)
does not match the size of a 2.88M floppy.  If I fix that by padding the
image to the required 2949120 bytes (5760 sectors), I can write a
bootable CD image.

  However, if I boot from that CD, the boot loader reads in the kernel
and then asks me to insert disk 2 ;-)  Needless to say that there is no
such thing as a disk 2 for the 2.88M image.

  Since the main purpose of the 2.88M is to work as a boot image for
CDs, I believe that the size of the created image should always be 5760
sectors, regardless of the actual kernel and ramdisk size.  And the boot
loader should definitely *not* ask for a second disk.  I'm more than
happy to fix this, if anybody could give me some pointers on these
issues.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene