Subject: Re: Problem upgrading Sony VAIO PCG-F360 Laptop
To: port-i386@netbsd.org, John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Lets Go Canes! <LetsGoCanes@webmail.bellsouth.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/2000 13:40:10
Hi all.

At Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:27:35 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>| Starting syslogd.
>| Checking for core dump...
>| panic: getblk: block size invariant failed
>| Stopped in savecore at  cpu_Debugger+0x4:        leave
>| db>
>|

>| The system will boot into single-user mode.
>
>Filesystem corruption of some sort? Try running fsck -f on all
>your partitions from single user mode?

fsck -f on / and /usr partitions (wd0a and wd0e respectively) from single-user mode.  Subsequent reboot fails as before.

>It would be quite good to provide the stack trace from
>the panic, though. "t" at the ddb prompt. If onerous, you
>can skip the offsets and only provide the names.

Transcribed by hand...

cpu_Debugger(...) at cpu_Debugger+0x4
panic(...) at panic+0x55
getblk(...) at getblk+0xe4
bread(...) at bread+0x2d
spec_read(...) at spec_read+0x25c
ufsspec_read(...) at ufsspec_read+0x2d
vn_read(...) at vn_read+0xba
dofileread(...) at dofileread+0x93
sys_pread(...) at syspread+0xec
syscall() at syscall+0x21b
--- syscall (number 198) ---
0x805ef77:

Something I noticed during the boot - it indicated that
"root on wd0a dumps on wd0b" which means that dumps are
written to the swap device.  While this is an install of
1.4Z (not an upgrade), it was over a 1.4.2 system.
Clutching for a straw, is it possible that 1.4Z's
savecore is finding something on the swap parrtition
that it is attempting to read as a dump that isn't valid
for 1.4Z?

Let's Go Canes!