Subject: Re: System time & date thinks its in California not NYC
To: None <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/2000 03:01:41

At 11:34 PM 7/14/00 -0400, der Mouse wrote:
>You will also have trouble as soon as you try to exchange timestamps with the
>rest of the world, such as if you ever get that machine on the net and
>try to speak NTP....

Or send email from an email client running on that machine (all the mail
headers will give the correct local time, but suffixed with "GMT"). Or
attempt to commit files to a CVS repository located on another machine. Or
run make in a directory of source code that is NFS mounted from another
machine. Or...

Yes, removing /etc/localtime is "faster" - a faster way to guarantee that
you'll have all sorts of problems down the road. Spend the extra 5 seconds
it takes to type:

   ln -f -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern /etc/localtime

You'll be glad you did.

P.S. If you dual boot this machine into both Windows and NetBSD, you'll
find the clock is off whenever you boot into "the other" OS. This is
because Windows sets the system clock to the local time, while NetBSD sets
it to GMT. I would recommend running NTP under NetBSD, and something like
d4time under Windows, so this will be corrected automatically at each boot.

P.P.S. Discussions about setting the system time, and other similar
"remedial/tutorial" questions should be sent to the netbsd-help mailing
list instead of port-i386. I've Bcc'ed this back to port-i386 where I found
it, but changed the Cc to netbsd-help so any further followups can easily
go there (as if I didn't already beat this horse to death...).