Subject: Re: 1.5 ALPHA on Cyrix
To: Port-i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/14/2000 15:12:28
options DIAGNOSTIC  causes my Cyrix MII to panic.

I have two kernels here both compiled minus options DIAGNOSTIC,
one with options DEBUG and one without any debugging code.
Both are rock solid.

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 8:11 AM, Jared D. McNeill
<mailto:jmcneill@invisible.yi.org> wrote:
>This has been happening for quite a while; not only on M1's but on MII's
>as well. I'm suprised it hasn't been fixed yet.
>
>If I remember correctly, this should fix it:
>	sys/arch/i386/i386/pmap.c:
>		Comment out all calls to pmap_zero_page()
>	sys/arch/i386/include/pmap.h:
>		Comment out the definition for PMAP_PAGEIDLEZERO()
>
>All I did was disable the in-kernel debugger, so I'm not seeing the
>panics. I don't know if they're still happening or not; that's why
>solution 1 is probably the best route.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Jared
>
>On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Jukka Marin wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:58:02 +0300
>> From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
>> To: Port-i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
>> Subject: 1.5 ALPHA on Cyrix
>>
>> A kernel built from 000713 sources still causes those annoying page
>> fault traps on Cyrix CPU's (Stopped at pmap_zero_page_uncached+0x48:
>> repe stosl %es:(%edi)).
>>
>> Not as often as some older versions, but it still occurs at least once
>> during every reboot on my P166+.
>>
>>   -jm

" Stamp out root login's .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.