Subject: Re: Serial console problems
To: Arto Huusko <arto@maailma.yok.utu.fi>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/12/2000 01:42:09
On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 02:10:06AM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
> I don't keep the computer, to which the serial port console
> is connected, on all the time and NetBSD apparently finds this
> hard to cope with: when I turn the console machine off, back
> on and fire up a terminal program I am greeted with a cheery db>
> prompt from the NetBSD machine.
>
> Why is this, and is there anything I can do?
You can activate the debugger by sending a break signal over the serial
line. Something like that may happen when you disconnect a serial cable or
switch something off or on that's connected to the serial port.

You can disable the invocation of the debugger with
sysctl -w ddb.fromconsole=0

BTW: When this happens you should be able to get the system back to running
with
ddb> cont

Often you will see some device timeout messages (especially from network
devices) after that wich can be ignored.

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.