Subject: Re: Serial console problems
To: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/11/2000 17:02:34
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Thilo Manske wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 02:10:06AM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
> > I don't keep the computer, to which the serial port console
> > is connected, on all the time and NetBSD apparently finds this
> > hard to cope with: when I turn the console machine off, back
> > on and fire up a terminal program I am greeted with a cheery db>
> > prompt from the NetBSD machine.
> >
> > Why is this, and is there anything I can do?
> You can activate the debugger by sending a break signal over the serial
> line. Something like that may happen when you disconnect a serial cable or
> switch something off or on that's connected to the serial port.

A lot of times serial programs will send break sequences when they exit.

Another option is to tie a high-valued resistor (like 10k or 20k) between
DTR and RX on the serial-consoled machine. This way, if the cable is
disconnected or the Amiga stops driving its output for whatever reason,
the DTR line will keep the i386 from seeing a break sequence.

Take care,

Bill