Subject: How should DISKLESS differ?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2000 23:54:47
How should the DISKLESS kernel differ from GENERIC?

At the moment, it has hordes of differences. When it was last syncced
(as far as I can tell) in August of 1997, notably differences were

  'root type nfs' instead of 'root type ?'

  Lack of COMPAT_{FREEBSD,IBCS2,LINUX}, FFS, EXT2FS, LFS, CD9660,
MSDOSFS, QUOTA, NFSSERVER.

  Lack of many scsi, ide and audio devices.

  Fewer bpf and pty devices.

  No vnd or ccd.

Certainly the root type and lack of physical disk devices is
reasonable, as is the omission of ccd. I'm not sure about the rest. In
particular, no vnd nor ffd means no building the OS, and CD9660 might
certainly be useful (as might FFS be on a floppy or cdrom).

Should the rest stay?

I presume things like the presence of TCP_COMPAT_42 are
victims of merge accidents.

--jhawk