Subject: Re: A little help with a root-on-NFS kernel?
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2000 09:22:41
On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 07:50:37AM -0400, John Hawkinson wrote:
> Do you have networking under Windows on the machine (it sounds like
> you do)?  If so, the easiest approach is to boot the INSTALL kernel
> via DOSBOOT, and it has a built-in filesystem that launches the
> install system for you.
>
> No special kernels, no nothing.
>
> So just grab pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20000620-1.5/netbsd.INSTALL.gz
> from ftp.netbsd.org.

Duh... I should know that just based on macppc and common sense.

I actually tried this, but without properly disabling HIMEM.SYS. The
only kernel I tried *after* doing so was GENERIC. The little beast is
quite happy now (though it could do with a working battery).

The documentation in the diskless HOW-TO on the web page specific to
the i386 port is a little unclear about just which kernel it'd be a
good idea to boot with dosboot, btw...

Thanks for the help, sorry for the dumb question!

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net