Subject: Re: A little help with a root-on-NFS kernel?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2000 07:50:37
| I would be really thrilled if some kind soul from this list would
| build and send my way (email it, put it up for anon ftp, on a
| webserver, whatever) a GENERIC kernel with the following line in it
| (obviously, has to be in the appropriate place):
|
| config netbsd root on ? type nfs
| (Oh, and if having that and dosboot.com is somehow not enough to
| netboot the machine--I have a nfs/tftp server handy already on a
| macppc box--and install on the local HD, smacking me with a cluebat
| would also be appreciated.)

Do you have networking under Windows on the machine (it sounds like
you do)?  If so, the easiest approach is to boot the INSTALL kernel
via DOSBOOT, and it has a built-in filesystem that launches the
install system for you.

No special kernels, no nothing.

So just grab pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20000620-1.5/netbsd.INSTALL.gz
from ftp.netbsd.org.

--jhawk