Subject: System freeze
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/05/2000 08:40:44
I had another freeze of my system. I'm running netbsd-current

NetBSD 1.5_ALPHA (JS1) #50: Tue Jul  4 12:54:27 EDT 2000

from sources downloaded earlier the same date as above via sup.

When the system froze it was doing a make install of part
of pkgsrc (x11 i think) and became totally unresponsive to
the keyboard. Since I had no other system available to try
the ethernet connection at the time, I can't say if it was
accessible or partly alive. The keyboard was locked (no led
action from shift keys) and no disk activity was noted. Also,
since X was running at the time the mouse would not revive the
system either.

Basically, I'd like to know if there is a way to instrument things
to allow me to get information to the proper party on what is locking
up.  I am assuming that this is a software bug and not some new
hardware problem here which has just started happening. Until a couple
days ago it seems that I had no stability problems whatsoever. This is
a lockup and not a panic as far as I can tell

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net