Subject: Re: i386 xterm key bindings
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/2000 16:31:56
Jonathan Stone wrote:
> I recently upgraded a machine to 1.5_ALPHA and got an xterm where
> someone made the Delete keysym generate the keyad delete.

Someone == the Xfree people.  It seems that all the world is a PC these
days and on a PC, delete left is <backspace> and <delete> does the opposite
of <insert>.  This is also the definition that the curses specification uses.
I did mention this a little while ago on current-users but didn't get many
takers.

> If the current setup doesn't acutally support that, then I propose we
> back out the keybinding changes to xterm, and submit a pullup request
> to do the same in 1.5.   At least until someone fixes the current bugs.

> Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> It isn't, and the answer is in the xterm man page.  In .Xdefaults:
>
> 	XTerm*deleteIsDEL:	true

I'd guess a solution is to make this the default in our xterm version.  We
won't be compatible with the rest of the Xfree 4-using world, but at least
we'll be backwardly compatible.  Thoughts?

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/