Subject: i386 xterm key bindings
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/2000 00:57:57
I recently upgraded a machine to 1.5_ALPHA and got an xterm where
someone made the Delete keysym generate the keyad delete.

I have been runing for years with the
  xmodmap -e "keysym BackSpace = Delete"

which works well locally, in emacs, and in emaces run over
rlogin/telnet sessions (over links too slow to run X.)  it has worked
well for me, since, oh, x11R3, if we want to go back that far, when
dealing with both DEC-like and PC-like conventions within a single
site. It was even the suggested remedy for us pre-PC holdouts.

In that environment, the current setup is *horribly* broken:
the remote systems end up mapping the esc-sequence for the
keypad  "delete" to dlete -*right*, not delete-*left*.

Can someone explain how to undo this piece of brain-damage,
preferably without recompiling xterm?

Is it too late to simply back it out--at least as the default?

(sorry for tpos, but I am short on ways to fix them).