Subject: network inoperative on -current i386 kernel
To: #List NetBSD i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/02/2000 20:04:03
Built from sources current as of an hour or so ago (via anon-cvs).

Booted up new kernel, and no network activity is successful.  Cannot set
date via ntp, cannot mount nfs volumes, and cannot ping other hosts on
the same Ethernet segment.  (It's an ex0, a 3Com 3C905B-TX.)

netstat -in shows that packets have been sent and received, and tcpdump
shows that arp requests are being sent and received.  Yet, arp -an says
incomplete for everything.  Sounds like packets aren't getting passed up
to uppper protocol layers.

BTW, this is an IPv4-only kernel, with PULLDOWN_TEST defined.  It
includes Itojun's latest fix to sys/netiniet/ip6.h (v1.8).

I'm pretty sure this is specific to port-i386, as my Alpha kernel, built
with similar options (although it's NIC is a tlp0, DECchip 21140A pass
2.2) and from the same sources works just fine.

|   Paul Goyette  | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer|  BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| & kernel hacker |  91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |