Subject: Re: disklabel number of partition ?
To: Richard PLOIX <richard.ploix@fr.adp.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/01/2000 02:01:37
[I've removed tech-net (again); this has nothing to do with networking,
so it doesn't belong there.]

>>> I need more than 8 partition on a disk.
>>> is this is possible ?

>> If you don't mind a flag day in /dev, it's fairly straightforward to
>> raise MAXPARTITIONS; I've done it for [other ports].

>> As an interim kludge, you can [...vnd kludge, using a one-element
>> ccd, as greywolf mentioned, is a cleaner suggestion...].

> you don't understand my question.
> I want to know if it is possible to have more than 8 partitions in
> the disklabel ?

At present, no, not on the i386 port, because MAXPARTITIONS there is 8.

If you raise MAXPARTITIONS, as sketched on the list, that does it.

So the answer is "not for a stock system, but yes with some minimal
code tweaks and a flag day in /dev".

> for example : sd0a, sd0b, sd0c, sd0d, sd0e, sd0f, sd0g, sd0h,
> and now for an extra disk, I need an other partition, sd0i.

For an extra disk?  Then it'd be some other drive (sd1, perhaps?), not
another partition on sd0.  If you really want another partition on sd0,
well, yes, this is fairly easy; it's what the "raise MAXPARTITIONS"
messages have been going on about.

> I need this for my 5th msdos partition.

This sounds as though you're talking about partitions in the MBR, not
partitions in the (NetBSD) disklabel, in which case the limit is 4, not
8, and as far as I know cannot in practice be altered.

> or in a last use, is it possible to make it on disklabel sd1?

Only if it really is a different disk.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca