Subject: Re: recommendation for MP box ?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/01/2000 02:05:14
On 30 Jun 2000, at 19:33, Jarom=EDr Dole=E8ek wrote:

> I'm considering buying a MP-capable box, though only dual-processor. Two
> motherboards I'm considering so far are
>  Gigabyte 6BXD 440BX (Dual2xS1)
>  Abit BP6 i440BX  (2xPPGA, ATA66)

Hi,

I use the BP6 with 2 500MHz. Celerons, 3Cs 900 and netgears GA620 Nic, an
ISA VGA card and the Adaptec 2940UW. I have not tested the IDE channels,
there are two ATA66 (HPT) and the two standard AT33 from the 440BX
chipset. The board runs 24/7 without a flaw, I see one problem with the
"resume on power down" implementation (that is, if the UPS will shut the P=
down because of an electricity problem, it will not startup when electrici=
ty is
back, it should work, but upon testing I could not make it work every time=
,
have to investigate).

Be aware that the BP6 currently only supports PPGA CPUs, not the new
FCPGA, although the new CPUs fit inte the socket they will not work. With =
the
Powerleap adapter you can run a *single* FCPGA CPU, with some
modifications(requires soldering on the adapter and probably cpus) *some*
Models and there only *some* stepping of Intels FCPGA (celeronII and
PintiumIII) will run in SMP mode. That will probably void you warranty and=
 you
have to do it on your own risk.

It is supposed that Abit is allready shipping a dual FCPGA Microatx board =
OEMs and SIs, an ATX version should follow within some months. Probably it=

was worth waiting a while.

Some models of the BP6 need an exchange of (I think) a capacitor and a
regulator, so be shure to get a board that does not suffer from that.

You might want to try "http://www.bp6.com", the messageboard wil give you
more information.

mike