Subject: Re: IDE DMA problems (1.4.2)
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/30/2000 17:47:16
On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 12:59 PM, Jukka Marin <mailto:jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
wrote:

>I'll check the BIOS settings tonight and try turning of "PnP OS" if
it is
>enabled (although I can't see why this would affect the IDE stuff).
>
>If I had another decent motherboard, I'd try swapping mb's, but I
don't
>and I'm not sure if it's wise to buy any more socket7 mb's, anyway..

Because PnP aware OS "YES"  means the OS (Win95=A8) will do all the
low
level hardware configuration and PnP aware OS "NO" means The BIOS
should do all the setup.

Why?  Because, irly PnP did not work and M$ was forced to include
hardware probe and configuration code so people would not blame M$
for their hardware woes.

If the BIOS does not configure the IDE stuff then the IDE is
unconfigured because NetBSD has no way to configure the hardware.

" Stamp out root login's .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
  This message was created and sent using  Cyberdog 2.0, awk,
  find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.