Subject: Re: disklabel number of partition ?
To: Richard PLOIX <richard.ploix@fr.adp.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/2000 10:56:30
[I removed tech-net from the header, as this has nothing whatsoever to
do with networking.]

> I need more than 8 partition on a disk.
> is this is possible ?

Yeah, on the i386 port the limit of 6 usable partitions per drive is
pretty crippling.

If you don't mind a flag day in /dev, it's fairly straightforward to
raise MAXPARTITIONS; I've done it for the sun3, sparc, and alpha ports,
though not the i386 (my one i386 machine is not one I've had occasion
to want lots of partitions on).  (I gather the changes implied to /dev
- neither forward nor backward compatible - are the principal reason
something like this hasn't been done in the main tree.  I keep hearing
rumblings about allocating extra major numbers and reworking the
partitioning schemes; presumably someday something will happen.)

As an interim kludge, you can always take a partition, make a
filesystem in it (use as high a bpi figure as you can), make one huge
file that fills the filesystem, layer a vnd over that file, and
subpartition it.  (You can't layer a vnd directly on top of a disk
partition, and there seems to be no way to make a disk partition
present itself as a file, though it seems to me it would probably be
fairly easy to build a "filesystem" that presented that effect.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca