Subject: Re: Strange disk/os problem
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/2000 01:04:09
On 28 Jun 2000 12:35:02 -0500, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 04:37:15PM +0000, Kent Polk wrote:
>>
>> Since replacing ls (two days ago) I haven't seen any more pagefaults.
>> The system was pagefaulting before ls got corrupted, so maybe in
>> all of the changes, something I did fixed the original pagefault
>> problem. I suspect that either resetting NVRAM or moving the IDE
>> cables all around may have fixed it. (why might a corrupt ls
>> sometimes cause a pagefault?)
>

>Hum, maybe the loaded kernel was corrupted too ?

I went through the system binaries and 'ls' was the only one which
was corrupted (according to cmp and by testing them to see if the
could load). The kernel was built on another of my hosts and was
fine also. Has me buffaloed... but the good part is that it still
hasn't pagefaulted again. :^)

Thanks