Subject: Re: Network adapter support
To: Lets Go Canes! <LetsGoCanes@webmail.bellsouth.net>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/2000 23:10:22
"Lets Go Canes!" <LetsGoCanes@webmail.bellsouth.net> writes:

> I've been playing around with NetBSD on an old laptop.  The only
> network adapter this laptop has is a Xircom parallel-to-Ethernet
> adapter.  Is there any hope of using this?

Not in any near future, probably never (unless someone with such a
card is willing to write a driver).  There are at least three
generations of these devices, the newer variants (PE3) should be
MB86960 based (for which we have a driver). It might be just as `easy'
as writing some parallel port interface goo.

> I will also be installing NetBSD on a newer laptop in the
> not-too-distant future.  This laptop uses a Proxim Symphony Wireless
> network card (PCMCIA).  Again, is there a driver that should work
> with this card?

There is an OpenBSD driver that (according to the web-page) doesn't
work all that well. Shouldn't be hard to port.

/Johan