Subject: Strange disk/os problem
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/2000 22:30:21
I recently installed 1.4.2 on an old 233Mhx Cyrix AT. Things run
fine except for two problems:

1) ls always coredumps:

   279 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
   279 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbfd82b,0xbfbfd7ac,0xbfbfd7b4)
   279 ktrace   NAMI  "/bin/ls"
   279 ls       EMUL  "netbsd"
   279 ls       RET   execve JUSTRETURN
   279 ls       CALL  ioctl(0x1,TIOCGETA,0xbfbfd72c)
   279 ls       RET   ioctl 0
   279 ls       CALL  ioctl(0x1,TIOCGWINSZ,0xbfbfd774)
   279 ls       RET   ioctl 0
   279 ls       PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL
   279 ls       NAMI  "ls.core"

2) I occasionally (every couple of days) get a pagefault. Appears
to only occur when a process is first started.

After determining that the 'box' hardware didn't appear to be at
fault, I moved the IDE drive (FUJITSU MPA3035ATU) to another box
and booted off of that drive. Same problems!  So it appears that
something may be wrong with the drive.  I can find no disk-related
error messages other than those associated with the occasional
pagefaults and the ls coredumps. Also, the drive was working quite
nicely as a backup before I moved it to the 'new' box. Any suggestions
on what to investigate (before investing in a new drive)?

Thanks