Subject: LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 PC Card
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Hascall <steve@ezl.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/2000 05:06:24
I recently acquired a LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 PC Card and tried to use
it with NetBSD 1.4.2. The MAC address comes back as aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa
from the INSTALL & GENERIC kernels. The card probes as a LinkSys Combo
EthernetCard (manufacturer code 0x149, product card 0xc1ab), but I
really don't know what to make of that. I noticed in if_ne_pcmcia.c that
the first 3 mac address octets were wrong for my card (mine is 00e098
instead of ... what was originally there!), but recompiling the kernels
with the new address yields the same aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa address as last
time. My questions, before I jump too deep into this myself, are: is
anyone using this card and how? (I prefer to use release branches of
operating systems, so I don't want to track current just to get this
card working). Will this card be supported in 1.4.3? What PCMCIA cards
are well supported in 1.4.2? How about CardBus cards? Finally, can
anyone recommend a good IBM brand ethernet/modem combo card  for NetBSD
(I get discounts on their stuff)?

-Steve
steve@ezl.com