Subject: Re: Volume managers (was Re: someone mentioned "the 1.5 branch"...)
To: David Rankin <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/13/2000 11:42:14
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, David Rankin wrote:

> The "real solution" would be to have a volume manager (similar to IBM's
> LVM, Vinum, etc.), rather than trying to hack the partitioning scheme.
> Is there anyone out there working on such a beast? (Before you ask, I have
> been contemplating such a project, but my employer and I are currently
> discussing whether my off-hours work on one would conflict with my
> employment agreement (*blah*).)

No, actually, it's not.

While LVM is cool, and I'd _love_ it if you could work on it, it's not the
"real solution." First off, we have lots of disks we share with other
OS's. We need to share partitioning with them. While you could hack that
into an LVM system, it'd be a hack.

Part of the goal of what we (I) want to do when we go to 64 partitions is
gain the ability to grok multiple partitioning schemes. So say we could
find all the NetBSD and FreeBSD or MacOS partitions on a disk. I think
that is a contrary thing to how LVM's work (as I understand them).

I hope your negotiations work out!

Take care,

Bill