Subject: Re: someone mentioned "the 1.5 branch"...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/12/2000 09:27:40

>> >Why only b and c ? We need a new major number for each supported disk.
>>
>> b and c is supposed to mean "block" and "character".  i have no idea
>
>Ok, I understood it as /dev/wd0b and /dev/wd0c :)

no.  that would have been silly.  :)

>> why was being so terse when i wrote that.  and yes, after some more
>> thought, i can see that it would not just be wd and sd devices, but
>> also ccd, fd, raid, cd, mcd, and md.
>
>And maybe some others.

although as i understand it, the major obstacle is that the minor
numbers are crammed together with no space for more partitions, yes?
that's why i suggested the new major number.

   % ls -l wd[01]?
   brw-r-----  1 root  operator  0,  0 Mar  6  1999 wd0a
   brw-r-----  1 root  operator  0,  7 Mar  6  1999 wd0h
   brw-r-----  1 root  operator  0,  8 Mar  6  1999 wd1a

there's no room for a wd0i, even if someone decided to make one.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|