Subject: Separate rescue floppy or not?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/12/2000 08:29:56
So,

it appears that not everyone was all that enthusiastic about the
move to separate rescue floppy images, and admittedly, it's nice
not to have to keep separate "recovery" media.

For the "main" install image we are already at two diskettes, so
adding restore back in (together with chio and scsictl) would not
make much of a difference.

The problem is with the trimmed-down diskette images (small and
tiny).  All the three boot images build using the same ramdisk,
but they do not necessarily have to.  Having different ramdisks
is a minor complication documentation-wise, though.

It used to be that the "small" diskette image was built for 5.25"
images, but that's not the case anymore.  The "tiny" image is
built for 5.25", but has only 42K available at the moment.  It's
also uncertain that it'll actually boot on a 4M system anymore;
it just about barely did when I tried last time, and some stuff
has been added since then, so I doubt it would be able to run on
4M systems at the moment.

Soo...  I'm currently leaning towards killing the "small" image,
and make a new ramdisk image for the "tiny" image without
sysinst, instead resurrecting the old script-based install for
that ramdisk image.

How does this sit with folks?

- H=E5vard