Subject: Re: Star office
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/2000 03:11:15
On 07.06.00, 19:05:22, Ben Bogart (admin) wrote:
> How do I run/get star office to work? I tried downloading from sun but
> they don't give a rpm. I assume that because linux apps are emulated on
> netbsd (I've already got it running) on a shadow root that only if you
> install the package with rpm will it work. Is this correct? or could I
> manually unpack and compile under the shadow root?

A few points worth mentioning here:

- StarOffice only runs on NetBSD-current, not on 1.4.2 (or earlier),
the reason is the missing clone() system call.

- You can just unpack and install the binary archives as downloaded from
Sun Microsystems.

- Alternatively, you could try to install it via the pkgsrc system
under pkgsrc/misc/staroffice. It will also take care of installing the
neccessary Linux emulation packages if they are not installed already.
Of course you also need a kernel with ELF and Linux compatibility.

- There are no sources available, so you cannot compile StarOffice
yourself anyway.

Linux programs (and, theoretically, libraries, too) can be installed
anywhere in the file system, the "shadow root" (i. e. /emul/linux) is
only a means to keep linux libraries (and very few tools) seperate
from native system libraries. The emulation system ensures that
programs running under the emulation try to open files under
/emul/linux first, and only when that fails, are pointed to the "real"
root file system.

rpm really has nothing to do with this.

--
Bernd Sieker