Subject: Re: Reason for pagefault trap
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/2000 20:58:34
On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 07:11:33PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > It would have to know how to initialize enough of the hardware to
> > gets the test done. Certainly it wouldn't need drive support, but
> > it would need keyboard, display, and some subset of bus support.
>
> It could use the same standalone library which biosboot uses.
>
> > (And people with USB keyboards... tough luck?)
>
> biosboot works with USB keyboards using the bios keyboard driver,
> right?

I don't know the answer - but I did find the answer to something else -
under Linux, Memtest86 can be run from LILO. So I'd imagine it includes
everything to make basic keyboard/display combos usable. It may not
handle USB of course.

I took a (brief) shot at building it, but it's not happy with the NetBSD's
gnu as. Has anyone listening gotten it to compile on NetBSD before?

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,